Gluten free style…
Being gluten intolerant really does put a large strain on baking. It’s surprising the amount of alternatives which are required to look and taste equivalent to a normal gingerbread cookie.
So, the best gluten free recipe out there! Which tastes better than a normal one!
Ingredients – Gingerbread
- 225g (9oz) gluten free plain flour
- 100g (4oz) golden caster sugar
- 100g (4oz) Butter
- 5 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons of golden syrup
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 300g royal icing sugar
- 4 tablespoons warm water
Tip – Royal icing sugar contains egg white powder which solidifies and helps when you’re trying to decorate – Worked this out the hard way…
- Preheat the over 150 degrees
- Mix flour, sugar, ginger and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl
- Rub in butter forming a breadcrumb-like mixture
- Mix syrup with the hot water and then add to the main breadcrumb-ike mixture
- Roll into a ball using your hands and flatten onto a clean surface, approx. 1cm thick.
- Cut out shapes using a cookie cutter
- Place onto greesed baking tray leaving approx. 1inch apart. Bake 15-20minutes.
- Once golden brown – leave on cooling tray for 45minutes before mixing the icing together and decorating your cookies!